Having an accident or damage to your property can be alarming and overwhelming when it comes to thinking about making a claim to your insurance. Not only are you worried about the accident or damage itself, but you are also thinking of the financial repercussions. Here are some tips of what information you need and what to remember to obtain to make a claim with your insurance.
- If it is a car accident, first and foremost assess yourself for injuries. If you did not sustain any injuries, check on your passengers, and other vehicle or persons involved.
- Contact authorities, i.e., Police, Fire, EMT
- Make note of approximate time accident or damage to property occurred.
- Make a police report of the incident, if needed with the proper authorities.
- Contact your insurance carrier. When you have a claim, it’s important to notify your insurance carrier as soon as possible.
Here are a few scenarios of some information that your insurance carrier might need from you in the event of a claim.
Q: I’ve been in an accident—what now?
A: Start by reporting the accident to your insurance carrier.
What they need to know:
- Time and location of the accident.
- How the accident happened.
- The names and contact information of people involved in the accident and witnesses.
- Any injuries sustained from anyone in the accident.
Q: I have damage to my property—now what?
A: Call your insurance carrier and let them know:
- When the incident occurred.
- A general description of what happened.
- The location of the damaged property and what was damaged.
- If temporary repairs are needed.
You can submit a claim through our Cherokee Insurance Center app!
The Cherokee Insurance Center app is a great way to keep all your insurance carriers in one place, even if they are not one of our carriers! You can submit claims, view policies, submit a new quote, view I.D. cards, and more.
If you do not have the app, click here to download the app now! App is available for IOS and Android.
Want more information on Car Insurance? Check out our Auto Insurance Interactive Graphic!